There are advantages and disadvantages being an employee or being an entrepreneur.
One of the main advantages of working for a company rather than going at it alone is a benefits package. Being able to work remotely is a bonus all in itself, but being able to work from home and have amazing company benefits also, double bonus!!!
In this post, I am going to highlight 4 companies that are totally winning at the employee benefits game!There are advantages and disadvantages being an employee or being an entrepreneur. Click To Tweet
4 Companies with Amazing Employee Benefits
If you haven’t already heard of it, Buffer is a software company that helps businesses to automate their social media channels. They currently serve over 4 million customers from a team based all over the globe.
So they must be doing something right!
A couple of the amazing benefits that Buffer offers are:
- A new MacBook-Hello! I would get a job there just for that!
- A free Kindle loaded with e-books and a community discussion board to talk about those books
- A free fitness tracker-to make sure you are not spending all your time in front of your new Macbook chowing down Doritos.
- Paid annual international retreats-for the purpose of getting to know your teammates of course, although I am sure it’s not all business all the time.
- Unlimited time off-this is an amazing benefit that I have been seeing a lot in companies. Companies are recognizing that especially for those virtual employees, burnout can occur, which means that taking a vacation day (or a couple) can lead to higher employee satisfaction rates, which equals higher productivity. It’s a win-win really.
- 1-3 months of family leave-not just maternity leave for the mamas. This includes both births and adoptions.
- Transparent salaries -that’s right, you can see what everyone in the company makes.
- Equity in the company-stock options or additional salary.
- Salary formulas-which takes into account cost of living and experience.
- Monthly stipends for continuing education, courses, training and any other types of learning and development so teammates can be their best selves.
- 100% company covered health insurance. For anyone who has had to pay large premiums, this is HUGE!
- And of course the ability to work remotely!
Kind makes me want to get a job there! 😉
So what kinds of jobs does Buffer offer? At the time of this writing, the only position available is an Engineering Manager. However, they do have a lot of tech and customer service type positions. If there is nothing listed to apply for, you can always join their mailing list specifically for those looking for a position within Buffer.
I imagine that once people get in there, they don’t leave often. With those types of benefits, who can blame them?
You may not have heard of Automattic, but I’m sure you have heard of their products and services.
You know, that little thing called WordPress.com?
These are the geniuses behind WordPress and other platforms like WooCommerce, the JetPack plugin, and Gravatar. They are big advocates of open source software.
And we say “Thank you” for that!
Their motto is “We don’t make software for free, we make it for freedom.”
Their current team consists of 583 “Automatticians” in 57 countries around the globe.
Automattic, like Buffer, encourages their employees to work virtually. They care more about the end product and the work you produce rather than the specific hours you put in.
One unique thing they do that I really think sets them apart and is a great way to gauge if an employee is really going to work with the team is having them participate in a project on a contract basis. I did something similar to this with an employer once.
During the interview process, the employer gave me parameters of a project, and asked me to come up with a solution-how would you recruit more people into this specific program we offer? The great thing about this is that they were able to see what I already knew about the company, the project, and how I would handle project related tasks.
Not to mention I delivered the project in 24 hours rather than the original 48-hour quote.
Another aspect of the Automattic hiring process that is unique is where you start in the company. Not only do you have to take on a project that is going to take you 2-6 weeks to complete on contract, you also have to start in customer support for the first 3 weeks, and return to customer support for 1 week out of the year.
I truly think this is a great tactic. It can be easy for those higher up in the company or not working with customers every day to lose track of why they do what they do or how difficult the “grunt” work can be.
Some of the benefits they offer are pretty amazing also!
- An open vacation policy-no set number of days per year. It is becoming increasingly important to companies to keep their employees happy and healthy-letting them take time off for various reasons (family, personal interests, health, vacation, etc…) is paramount to an employee’s overall performance.
- Assistance is setting up your home office and co-work space allowances-Automattic will cover your espresso while you are working away at your local cafe.
- Reimbursement for continued education-books, conferences, and any other hardware and software needed to do your job to your fullest ability.
- Company-sponsored life insurance.
- Fully paid parental leave-for moms, dads, and adoptive parents. As long as you have been with the company for 12 months your leave is fully paid!
- Been with the company for 4 years? Time for your WordPress branded laptop!
- Every 5 years employees are encouraged to take a 2-3 month sabbatical-Roadtrip anyone?!
- Plus all company travel, which happens 1-3 times a year, is fully covered!
- Other benefits include (depending on what country you reside in) “health, vision, and dental insurance, a matching retirement/pension contributions, childcare vouchers, income protection, travel insurance, and discount offers.” -Automattic
At the time of this writing, there were 16 different positions open at Automattic. Everything from coding to customer service.
Do any of these sound like they would be a great fit? Dust of your resume and go ahead and apply!
Zapier is a platform that connects apps with other apps to help automate your life.
Companies like BuzzFeed, Spotify, and Adobe use their services. With Zapier you can set up workflows that trigger actions within other applications.
The example they give on their website is: you receive a Gmail with an attachment (this is your trigger), then the attachment is copied into Dropbox, which then alerts you in Slack that you have a new file in your Dropbox folder.
You can connect over 750 different applications and build a workflow with just a few clicks. It’s an awesome software that can help you to automate the little things in life.
The team at Zapier is 100% distributed and they like it that way! They even wrote a book about working remotely! Zapier’s main focus is on making its employees happy!
Some of the amazing benefits that Zapier offers are:
- Competitive salary-they highlight the fact that just because they are remote does not mean they pay less.
- Healthcare, dental and vision-for US employees.
- A 401k retirement plan with a 4% company match-also for US employees.
- Profit sharing.
- 14 weeks for paid leave for new parents (moms and dads included).
- 2-3 annual company retreats to various locations.
- Of course international employees get some amazing benefits also, but I could not find them listed anywhere.
- The ability to pick whatever laptop and monitor combo loaded with any software you might need. Although I love Macs (even though I am currently writing this on a PC-I desperately need an update) I understand that not everyone is partial to Macs, so I think having the ability to choose what you want to work on everyday is a pretty sweet deal!
- Unlimited vacation-with a mandatory 2 weeks per year-ok, you don’t have to force me to take off, geez!
- Plus the bonus of working with other amazing companies from around the world-Google, Asana, Salesforce, Instagram, Infusionsoft, and Facebook, just to name a few 🙂
At the time of this writing, there are 7 different positions open.
Want to be happier at Zapier? Take a leap of faith and see what life would be like at Zapier!
Lurn is headed up by one of my entrepreneurial idols, Anik Singal-if you are familiar with the internet marketing world, you have probably heard of him. If not, check him out!
Although I have never personally met him-he seems like an amazing guy that truly cares about helping people build online incomes for themselves without just wanting to make money off of them.
But what is LURN?
Lurn is a website, blog, and online community that caters to individuals looking to build online income streams. They focus on email marketing, e-commerce, and affiliate marketing mostly. They have an amazing blog and Anik holds free weekly webinars that cover all sorts of topics.
They also offer courses that focus on building your email list and building an online information business. Anik also partners with other high-level info product entrepreneurs to cross-promote their products and services.
They also do a ton of community outreach to help end the cycle of poverty in communities all over the world.
It sounds like working at Lurn is pretty awesome too!
On the careers section of their website they list 7 reasons to “build a career at Lurn.”
- There are no set schedules-score! You get to choose your own hours as long as you are being productive and getting the work done.
- Culture is super important to them. Their hiring practices take individual personalities into account.
- They always try to keep things fun, even though it’s actually work, it shouldn’t feel like it.
- Entrepreneurship-this, by far, I think is the coolest benefit of all. As someone who is entrepreneurial minded, it can be difficult to work with other entrepreneurs, especially if you know you want to venture out on your own. Lurn is happy to teach you what they know and are proud to create products of their products and assist you in creating your own online business. How many companies can say that?!
- They offer a competitive salary and “HUGE bonuses.” The harder you work the more you earn. This is something that I think a lot of employees struggle with, I know I personally did. They feel they are working harder than everyone else but not being recognized for it. So when a company comes along and offers to pay you some bucco bonuses cuz you know how to rock it, take advantage of it!
- Unlimited vacations-I am seeing a trend here… Companies don’t want to worry about you burning out. Especially those employees that work virtually and don’t have to punch a clock every day and can set their own hours. Ever get in the flow on a project and realize you haven’t eaten or slept in 48 hours? Yeah, not the way working online should be!
- Other benefits include health, dental, and 401k with a big (undisclosed) match.
- Reimbursement for your high-speed internet.
- New computer! You can choose either a Mac or PC-again, how cool is that?!
At the time of this writing, they are currently looking to fulfill 5 different employee positions. Although, take note that not all of them are virtual. Several of them require you to work on site in Rockville or Germantown, MD.
Customer Happiness Specialist-remote, US based
Junior Copywriter-Germantown, MD
Associate Content Manager-remote
Lurn Center Manager-Rockville, MD
To apply you need to not only send your resume but get in front of your camera and create a 2-minute video cover letter explaining why you would be a good fit for the position. This only applies to some of the positions, not all of them, so make sure you are reading the application instructions carefully.
So what are you waiting for? Apply for at Lurn today and become part of their amazing company culture!
So many companies now are realizing the importance of keeping their employees happy.
Gone are the days of punching a time clock and 2 weeks of early vacation and pensions. Talented individuals are poached from companies and can leave at any time for a company with better employee benefits or more exciting projects.
Companies are evolving. It is so much easier now to find a job that fits with your values that can give you what you are truly looking for within an organization.
Don’t be afraid to take the leap and apply for something different.
Even though you may not have all the qualifications required, if you have a winning personality and show that you are dedicated and will fit in with the company culture, you just might have a shot.
My first virtual employee job was an online marketing manager-which I had never done-that I beat out 40 other applicants for. So it is possible, just keep looking and applying and make connections with people in the company and do your research!
Do you work for, or know of a company with amazing benefits that offer virtual positions? Please share!
Give me the goods!
Enter your name and email to get access to The Savvy Girl's Guide to Financial Freedom!